Monday, July 2, 2012

Fireworks Flowers

When I realized that I was in charge of planning last weeks' Achievement Days activity, I felt that it was the perfect opportunity to discuss patriotism.  I had a lot of fun planning a lesson and learned an awful lot about our flag and all of its' symbols.  I wanted to give each of the girls something red white and blue to take home with them, but needed to use something I had on hand.  That's when I decided to make some flowers out of paper. There are so many cute paper flower ideas out there, but I finally settled on these:
 It wasn't until I had made several of them and fluffed them out that I realized how much they look like fireworks! An honest to goodness accident that couldn't have served its' purpose better.
Luckily this isn't a difficult pattern since we have 18 girls in our group. Ironically enough, only one girl showed up. Lucky me, I have a bouquet of fireworks in my living room!! Still, I wish more girls had come. I had lots of fun activities and a game planned. I made these for helping me split the girls up into groups:
 I was going to give each girl one of these sweet little star bobbi pins as she came in.
The color on each would determine which team she was on.  I thought this would be a fun way to gently  force each girl into a group that she may not have chosen herself. I think it would have worked too. Still, the one girl who came loved her pretty little star, though she never did understand what it was for.
Regardless, I enjoyed making these and am sure I will find another use for them!

No comments: