Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Journal Transformation


I don't know why, but for some reason, I have always been drawn to these silly composition notebooks. Really, I just love notebooks in general, there is something so appealing to me about those empty pages, begging to be filled. It must stem from my years spent dreaming of being a writer. So, of course they caught my eye when I saw them marked down at the beginning of this last school year. Did I need them? No. Did I have a plan for them in any way? No. Did I buy them anyway? You know I did.

Recently, I found myself in desperate need of a journal. I had some heavy thoughts, and I needed somewhere to put them all! That was when my mind turned to those wonderful composition books still sitting in a drawer in my craft room.  Perfect.
I call this a "transformation" project, because, of course, I can never leave well enough alone. I mean I love composition notebooks, but lets face it, they are boring! I planned on spending a lot of time with my journal. I wanted it to look nice.  A little bit of scrapbook paper and glue and Viola! Pretty!

 As you can see, I couldn't stop at one. The journal on the left, the one in black, is a "Thought" journal. This is where I write down all of the awesome, funny, and thoughtful quotes I hear, read, and see. It's perfect to have a place to keep them all, and nice to be able to skim back through them when I need an extra boost, or need a nice quote to share with someone.
The green journal is my personal journal. It can be a little scary in there, so I wanted it to look extra pretty and welcoming on the outside. Ah, deception!
The one problem that I had from the start was that the journals didn't want to stay closed. That's composition books for you. So, I crocheted pretty "belts" for them! Did you know that a book can wear a belt, too?
This is one transformation that is getting a lot of use! I love it!

No comments: